Monday, September 21

Yep! We're eating baked brown bag for dinner!


Okay, so I had to do something with all those apples we picked! I didn't like seeing all the half eaten apples on the floor that Ereland had "finished". So we decided to bake our own pie! Thanks to my super mom, this was a fabulous pie! Rich but good! Deffinately not "diet" food!

Too bad making anything in my small kitchen makes a BIG mess!


I hope I am not giving away any family secrets here but the recipe is this:

The Crumb Crust:

Mix together dry ingredients:

1 1/2 cups of flour

2 tsp. sugar

3/4 tsp. salt

Emulsify:

1/2 cup salad oil

2 tbs. milk

Add wet and dry mixtures together and piece into bottom of pie pan.

Filling:

6-12 apples depending on the size, tarter ones work better than sweeter ones to help balance out the taste.

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

2 tbs. (+) flour. Mom told me that this was what soaks up the juices. So if you have really juicy apples, you might want to add a little more. (I used Macintosh apples that were pretty dry and tart, and 1/3 of gala which were much sweeter and juicier. I added 3 tbs. of flour and that seemed to work out perfectly.)

Pour a heaping! pile of apples in the crusted pan. The apples will bake down so you want a pretty good stack!

Streusel Topping:

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup butter

Mix these together until it makes a crumb like texture and pat on top of apples.

Carefully put the pie into a brown paper bag, and bake for at least 1 hr. 45 mins at 350 degrees.

Thanks Mom! I love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment