In attempt to make this Christmas for our family special. I thought about our family traditions. I began to realize that some traditions are easier to keep when you are in a larger group.
Eating on China for birthdays and holidays, .... only without a dishwasher, David would rather eat on paper plates.
Reading a Christmas themed story (mini FHE) each night prior to Christmas, only I didn't get very far.
Austin and Laura watch a Christmas movie the 12 nights before Christmas. I liked this idea and started trying it out on my girls, but all they wanted to do was watch Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer every night.
The big dinner.....only again small kitchen and only David and I. It is hard to get excited to go through all that effort and mess when my girls would probably rather macaroni and hotdogs.
What do you do for Christmas?
Our Christmas tree is new this year also....again because it is our first Christmas at home by ourselves. We haven't ever had one, well other than the one mom sent to me to put up in my collage dorm room. David went out this year to get one, and although I am not sure where he got it exactly, I know he didn't pay for it. It is quite the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree. It only 3' tall, sits in a Pampers box stuffed with a meager bowl of water and old grocery sacks to stabilize it. Dave added a string to the doorknob to further ensure that it would fall over. Now that I think about it, perhaps the dorm room tree is better looking!
(I actually like our little tree--it's about the memories right?)
Anastasia and I made garland from scrapbook paper, and made foam snowflakes and jingle bells. It still is missing lights, but dealing with the ornaments and constantly telling the girls not to touch them is good enough. Thanks to Grandma Bush, Aunt Amie, and Grandma and Grandpa Craig and Steve...we actually have presents under the tree. To me that is when it is official, Christmas is coming!
Lately, David is in young mens at church and has gone on a few camp outs. This weekend was their "survival" camp. It is hard enough sleeping without him, much less worrying that he is freezing all night. I am sure they are fine, but if you know my husband then you know that he is not a planner, we are spontaneous people! I just hope everyone remembered everything. From what I heard the cow hearts were actually very good! Surprising!
I am playing for the ward choir at church and this Sunday is the Christmas Cantata. I am soooo happy that it is almost over. Sundays lately have been 10 hour events, including traveling time.
Anastasia is starting to read pretty well. She still gets a little mixed up between B's, D's and H's and N's. But overall I am very proud of her. She is my big helper with Cardin and Ereland. She still would rather catch worms than play inside with dolls, but Ereland keeps her grounded that way. She wants to know about everything and why it works. And even though Christmas is right around the corner, I still haven't figured out exactly what she is getting for Christmas.
Ereland is growing up, and I think finally hit the terrible two phase. She turns three in March but she might not live that long. She has been getting into everything! It will sound silly, but David just had his birthday and I spend a good part of the day making a nice dinner and cupcakes. I went to change Cardin's diaper, and Ereland went over to the cupcakes and licked the frosting off of, or poked her fingers down into 2/3 of the cupcakes! I was angry at that, but then noticed all the tree ornaments and a big box of toys scattered all over the living room floor. She seems innocent enough with those big eyes, but she is more devious than you think!
Cardin is crawling now! His personality is showing. He really doesn't like to be alone, and would rather sit and play near the girls. He will not be still, unless he is sleeping. He cuddles, but only when he is hungry or hurt. He will be a handful, and with his new haircut looks much more like David. The curls are gone, and yes I shed a tear or two. Perhaps it is a Samson complex.
Enjoy the pics, and the video. Stay safe, and Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment